Location: Australia: Eastern Victoria
Event: The Victorian state government declared a state of disaster on January 2 for several areas in eastern Victoria, and some areas are under evacuation orders due to wildfires. Authorities are issuing regular updates on affected areas.
Actions to Take:
- If you are holidaying in eastern Victoria or the Alpine region, please follow the instructions of local authorities.
- Locations under evacuation orders may change due to changes in fire conditions. For the latest updates, follow Emergency Management Victoria on Twitter and Facebook. Incidents and warnings are also reported here: https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au
- Bushfires are creating smoky conditions across much of Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, and the ACT that may continue for some time. Smoke can affect people’s health and it is important for everyone to reduce exposure.
- Check the air quality for your region.
- See the State Department’s travel website for Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Information for Australia
- U.S. Consulates General in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel and security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter