Location: New South Wales (NSW) and Queensland (QLD)
Event: Recent excessive rainfall in the northern New South Wales and southeastern Queensland regions continues to cause flash flooding, flood warnings, and evacuations of flood-affected areas.
The Bureau of Meteorology and NSW State Emergency Service (NSW SES) advise residents in Northern NSW of local intense rainfall leading to dangerous and life-threatening flash flooding.
The Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) advise when poor weather is forecast, listen to your local radio station for information and warnings, and prepare for all scenarios.
Both NSW SES and QFES advise those in affected areas to consider personal emergency preparedness and adhere to all applicable warnings or evacuations.
Although the U.S. Consulate in Sydney is currently unable to provide routine services due to COVID-related delays in our move to new premises, limited emergency services are still available. U.S. citizens in need of critical emergency consular services should email SydneyACS@state.gov to request assistance.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the NSW SES, QFES and the Bureau of Meteorology websites for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information on COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Suite 2, 50 Miller Street
North Sydney, NSW 2060
Telephone: (02) 8219-2100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.