Nonimmigrant Visas

The U.S. Consulates in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth are responsible for providing visa services to those seeking to enter the United States for a temporary period and for those wishing to take up indefinite or permanent residence in the United States.

Please visit the U.S. Visa Information Service for Australia website for complete information on the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) and applying for a nonimmigrant U.S. visa, including a directory of nonimmigrant visa categories.

To contact a customer service representative, please visit the GSS Contact Us page for full information. Please note, the Visa Information Service cannot provide information over the phone regarding the status of an application. If you require information regarding a pending application, please send your inquiry via email.

Diplomatic/Official inquiries: Contact details can be found here.

*U.S. and Australian Public Holiday closures.


Non-Immigrant Visas
U.S. Consulate General
Attn: Visas
Level 6
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004


Non-Immigrant Visas
U.S. Consulate General
Attn: Visas
4th Floor
16 St. George’s Terrace
Perth, WA 6000


Non-Immigrant Visas
U.S. Consulate General
Attn: NIV
Level 10, MLC Centre
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney NSW 2000

Plan to arrive at the Consulate in your district no earlier than 15 minutes before your interview is scheduled. Before your arrival you must read the Consulate Security Regulations.

When you first arrive at the Consulate, you will be required to go through security before you can enter the consular section.  Only the person applying for the visa will be admitted to the Consulate.

Under no circumstances will family members and friends who accompany the applicant without an appointment be admitted to the Consulate, unless they are a parent accompanying a child under age 18. Children under 14 applying for a visa may not need to attend the interview at the Consulate.

All officials traveling on behalf of their federal government require particular visas to transit or enter the United States. If you are traveling on behalf of a state government you generally will not require a visa. To learn more about the process please visit our Diplomats and Foreign Government Officials page.

You MUST have a Program Serial Number that starts with G-1, G-2, G-3 or G-7  to qualify for this specific type of J1 visa. To learn more about the Government Sponsored J1 Visa and guidance on how to apply please see here.