Changing the Descriptive Data on Your Passport or Replacing a Limited Validity Passport

Effective September 28, 2020: the Consulates in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth are offering routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services by mail and appointment. Appointments are available only for applicants who require an in-person interview. U.S. citizens who require documents sooner than the current processing time should contact their nearest consulate to request an emergency passport appointment.

Submit Form DS-5504 if all the following are true:

  • you can submit your most recent passport which has not been damaged; and,
  • that passport was issued less than one year ago.

Preparing a Complete Application

Please disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms and submit all of the following.

  • Completed, legible Form DS-5504Application for a U.S. Passport;
  • All applicants must provide their Social Security number on the application form. For further details, please see our additional information.
  • Most recent U.S. passport
  • One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
  • Applicants under age 16: One parent is required to sign the application. Please submit the child’s original birth certificate and the signing parents original photographic identity, such as a valid passport.
  • If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
  • One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports.  Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery.  Be sure to provide an envelope big enough to fit two passports (and, if applicable, any original documents submitted with your application) per applicant – minimum 20mm thickness/500gms.


There are no fees for this application.

Submitting the Application

  • In person: Applicants who qualify to renew their U.S. passports by mail should do so. Applicants who attend an appointment for an application which could be submitted by mail should expect to be asked to mail it to us so we can focus on providing services to those who are required to attend our office.
  • By mail: Applications should be mailed to the Consulate General serving the state where you are located.