Submit Form DS-5504 if all the following are true:
- you can submit your most recent passport which has not been damaged; and,
- that passport was issued less than one year ago.
Preparing a Complete Application
Please disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms and submit all of the following.
- Completed, legible Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- Most recent U.S. passport
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- Applicants under age 16: One parent is required to sign the application. Please submit the child’s original birth certificate and the signing parents original photographic identity, such as a valid passport.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery. Be sure to provide an envelope big enough to fit two passports (and, if applicable, any original documents submitted with your application) per applicant – minimum 20mm thickness/500gms.
There are no fees for this application.
Submitting the Application
- In person: Applicants who qualify to renew their U.S. passports by mail should do so. However, if you would like to submit this application in person, you will need to schedule an appointment. (Note: An Express Post envelope must still be provided with applications submitted in person.)
- By mail: Applications should be mailed to the Consulate General serving the state where you are located.