Submit Form DS-5504 if all the following are true:
- you can submit your most recent passport which has not been damaged;
- that passport was issued less than one year ago; and
- your most recent U.S. passport book was obtained at the full passport fee and limited to two years or less for a reason other than multiple losses or serious damage/mutilation of previous passports.
Preparing a Complete Application
Please disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms and submit all of the following.
- Completed, legible Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport (do not mail the 4 pages of instructions, just the 2 pages of the application). All applicants must provide their Social Security number on the application form – see our additional information. Your application must include an email address and contact phone number.
- Most recent U.S. passport
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- Applicants under age 16: One parent is required to sign the application. Please submit the child’s original birth certificate and the signing parents original photographic identity, such as a valid passport.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- Self-Addressed Express Post Prepaid Satchel (Plastic Envelope) from Australia Post.
- This MUST be provided for the return of your old and new passport
- Paper envelopes from Australia Post, and envelopes/satchels from courier services/companies other than Australia Post will not be accepted.
- It is suggested that you take a photo of the tracking number on the prepaid satchel for any future inquiries and for your records.
There are no fees for this application.
Submitting the Application
Effective June 1: Applicants all over Australia (including NSW, ACT, QLD, VIC, NT, TAS, SA, and WA) are directed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Sydney for processing at:
U.S. Consulate General
ATTN.: Passport Services
Suite 2, 50 Miller Street
North Sydney, NSW 2060
Applications mailed to the U.S. Consulates in Melbourne or Perth will be returned to the applicant for resubmission to Sydney.