Submit Form DS-5504 if all the following are true:
- you can submit your most recent passport which has not been damaged; and,
- that passport was issued less than one year ago.
Preparing a Complete Application
Please disregard the pre-printed instructions on the online forms and submit all of the following.
- Completed, legible Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- All applicants must provide their Social Security number on the application form. For further details, please see our additional information.
- Most recent U.S. passport
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- Applicants under age 16: One parent is required to sign the application. Please submit the child’s original birth certificate and the signing parents original photographic identity, such as a valid passport.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options
There are no fees for this application.
Submitting the Application
- Effective July 28, 2021, as a result of extended lockdowns in Greater Sydney, applicants in New South Wales, Queensland, and the ACT are directed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Perth for processing.
- Applicants in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory are directed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Melbourne for processing.
- Applicants in Western Australia are directed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Perth for processing.