Applicants who are renewing their passport, changing their legal name or correcting information on a previous passport issued may use the Form DS-82 if all of the following are true:
- you are able to submit your most recent passport;
- you were at least 16 years old when that passport was issued; and,
- that passport was issued less than 15 years ago.
Applicants who do not meet all of these requirements should refer to “Applications requiring personal appearance” on the passport page.
Applications to renew a damaged passport via mail may be accepted at our discretion if all the identifying information is still legible. If the photograph or identifying information is illegible, or the passport is significantly damaged, please refer to the information regarding Lost/Stolen/Damaged passports.
Preparing a Complete Application
Disregard the pre-printed and online form-filler instructions – the application should be submitted to the U.S. Consulate General in Perth for processing. Please submit all of the following:
- Completed, legible, and signed Form DS-82: Application for a U.S. Passport (do not mail the 4 pages of instructions, just the 2 pages of the application). All applicants must provide their Social Security number on the application form – see our additional information. Your application must include an email address and contact phone number.
- Most recent U.S. passport, and a clear photocopy of the photo/biographic data page.
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- The passport application fee – click here for the current fee:
- Applicants can pay the passport feel online via the U.S. government’s secure payment site. After successfully paying the fee, you must print out the electronic payment confirmation you receive via email and include it in the package you submit.
- For applicants who cannot make the payment online, payments can still be paid by Australia Post money order or bank check (personal/business checks are not accepted), and must be payable to the “U.S. Consulate General”. Under no circumstances are other payees accepted. Do not write anything additional on the face of the money order/bank check (eg: name of the applicant) — our cashier is unable to process it as valid payment. Incorrect payments cannot be accepted, even if there is an overpayment.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (photocopies certified by a Justice of the Peace are not acceptable). If not in English, please provide a translation.
- For damaged passports: a signed statement outlining the reason the passport is damaged
- Self-Addressed Express Post Prepaid Satchel (Plastic Envelope) from Australia Post.
- This MUST be provided for the return of your old and new passport
- Paper envelopes from Australia Post, and envelopes/satchels from courier services/companies other than Australia Post will not be accepted.
- It is suggested that you take a photo of the tracking number on the prepaid satchel for any future inquiries and for your records.
Submitting the Application
Applicants all over Australia (including NSW, ACT, QLD, VIC, NT, TAS, SA, and WA) are directed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Perth for processing. Applications mailed to the U.S. Consulates in Sydney or Melbourne will be returned to the applicant for resubmission to Perth.