The following instructions apply to all U.S. passport applications for a child under the age of 16 – regardless of whether they have been previously issued a U.S. passport.
First time applicants under the age of 16 born outside of the U.S. must first establish their claim to U.S. nationality before a U.S. passport will be issued. Please refer to our information regarding how to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
Completing the Application
Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.
- Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- The minor child (applicant) must be present.
- The child’s original Consular Report of Birth Abroad or full birth certificate, showing the names of the parents who will be signing their child’s passport application
- Child’s most recent U.S. passport; if the child has never held a U.S. passport, documentary evidence of U.S. citizenship must be provided.
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs)
- Current, government-issued photo identification of the parent/s submitting the application
- U.S. passport regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians before a U.S. passport will be issued to a minor child (unless certain circumstances apply). This requirement is usually met by both parents attending the child’s passport interview and signing the passport application in the presence of a consular officer. However, we understand that it is not always possible for both parents to attend the passport interview and options do exist if only one parent is available to sign the passport application form.
- Any required supporting documents
- Applicable fee
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery. Be sure to provide an envelope big enough to fit two passports (and, if applicable, any original documents submitted with your application) per applicant – minimum 20mm thickness/500gms.
Submitting the Application
The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived. All applicants must be present at the appointment, including minor child applicants under the age of 16.
Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.