The Department of State has reduced operations due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Effective April 9, 2020, the U.S. Mission to Australia will only offer emergency citizenship services. Routine and mail-in passport and citizenship applications will not be processed. Please contact your closest consulate to request an emergency citizenship service.
Please report the loss/theft of all U.S. passports to the local police and the Consulate General serving your area as soon as possible. Please make note of the Police Incident/Report number. If your reported lost or stolen passport is found after a replacement passport is issued to you, the original passport cannot be used for travel.
Completing the Application
Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.
- Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
- For lost/stolen/misplaced passports: completed and signed Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, including the Police Incident/Report number
- For damaged passports: signed written statement explaining how and when your passport was damaged
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs)
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship
- Evidence of identity
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- Applicants under age 16: U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. To meet these regulations, the following documents/conditions are required.
- The minor child (applicant) must be present.
- The child’s birth certificate or court issued custody order must be submitted.
- The parents’ current photographic identification must be submitted. If only one parent submits the application for a minor child, the absent parent is required to complete a notarized Form DS-3053 to express their consent for the issuance of the passport.
- Applicable fee
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery. Be sure to provide an envelope big enough to fit two passports (and, if applicable, any original documents submitted with your application) per applicant – minimum 20mm thickness/500gms.
Submitting the Application
The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived.
Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.