The first time you apply to change the sex marker in your U.S. passport, you must use Form DS-11.
Completing the Application
Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.
- Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate)
- Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport or military ID)
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- Acceptable medical certification to support the change in sex marker, which conforms with the Department of State’s requirements.
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- Applicable fee
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options.
Submitting the Application
The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived.
Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.