Emergency U.S. Passports

Current processing time of a U.S. passport is 10-15 business days. Generally, passport applications are processed in less time; however, we require up to 15 business days to ensure that we can issue a passport.

If you are traveling within 15 business days, we may elect to issue you an emergency U.S. passport, which will be limited to a maximum of 12 months validity. These passports are generally processed and issued on the same day as we receive a completed passport application.

If you are not traveling within 15 business days, please proceed with your passport application, but be sure to indicate your planned travel on the application forms so we can issue a full validity passport (10 years for adults, 5 years for children under age 16).

Required Documents

Application requirements, including fees, for emergency passports are the same as those for full-validity passports. For a list of required documents, please return to the Passport page and select the service you require from the list.

You should also be prepared to provide evidence of your upcoming travel (eg: a confirmed flight itinerary) with your passport application.

Submitting the Application

In person:

  • Applicants submitting their application in person should schedule an appointment with the U.S. Consulate – even if the first available date is after your planned travel.
  • If you are able to schedule an appointment prior to your travels, there is no need to contact our office further. We will be able to assist you with a passport in time for your travels.
  • Once an appointment has been scheduled, email the U.S. Consulate serving your area. Be sure to provide is with the details of the appointment you have scheduled, along with your travel date. Our office will then reschedule your appointment with a more suitable day to attend the Consulate and submit your emergency passport application.

By Mail:

  • Certain applications must be submitted in person at the U.S. Consulate. If your passport cannot normally be renewed by mail but you require an emergency passport, the application will still need to be submitted in person at a Consulate.
  • If you do not live close to a Consulate and the passport application can be renewed by mail, please submit the application by mail and include a brief cover letter stating your travel date. If our office does not have sufficient time to issue a full-validity passport, we may elect to issue an emergency passport for your travels.