Effective September 28, 2020: the Consulates in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth are offering routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services by mail and appointment. Appointments are available only for applicants who require an in-person interview. U.S. citizens who require documents sooner than the current processing time should contact their nearest consulate to request an emergency passport appointment.
Follow the process detailed below if you are:
- renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
- renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16; or,
- a first-time passport applicant over age 16.
Applicants over the age of 16 who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen must first establish their claim to U.S. citizenship.
Completing the Application
Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.
- Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport;
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate)
- Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport or military ID)
- One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
- If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
- Applicable fee
- One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery. Be sure to provide an envelope big enough to fit two passports (and, if applicable, any original documents submitted with your application) per applicant – minimum 20mm thickness/500gms.
Submitting the Application
The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived.
Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.