Additional Resources for U.S. Citizens

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The American Citizen Services section provides a variety of emergency and non-emergency services to Americans in Australia. Detailed information on these and the other services we provide is available via the above links. If you have questions about any of the information on our website, or can not find what you are looking for, please contact the Consulate General serving your area.

U.S. Birth, Death and Marriage certificates are maintained by the individual states, and as such, the Department of State does not maintain nor have access to these records. Please refer to the National Center for Health Statistics website for information on how to apply for certified copies of these records.

Australian birth certificates are maintained by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in each state and territory.

Please refer to the Department of State for instructions on how to obtain a replacement Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).

Individual driving records are maintained by the Department of Motor Vehicles in the individual states.  As a federal U.S. government agency, the U.S. Department of State does not maintain these records, nor is our office able to access them.

If you have lost your U.S. drivers license, or require a copy of your driving record, the U.S. Consulates are unable to assist. U.S. citizens abroad will need to contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) in the State their driver’s license was issued for assistance with driver’s records, license renewals, or documentation to obtain an Australian driver’s license.

If planning to hire or drive a vehicle abroad using a U.S. driver’s license, individuals will need to obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP) in addition to their driver’s license. Generally, an IDP must be obtained in the United States prior to departure. For further information on IDP’s and issuing agencies, please see the Department of State’s information.

U.S. citizens living overseas are not required to get health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If you are uninsured and living abroad, you do not have to pay the fee that other uninsured U.S. citizens may have to pay.  The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) provides more information about how the ACA affects U.S. citizens abroad and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) also addresses frequently asked questions about the ACA’s tax implications for U.S. citizens residing abroad.  For more comprehensive information, please refer to the Department of State’s website.

Marriages in both the United States and Australia are conducted and registered according to the State laws where the marriage will take place. You do not need to formally notify the U.S. Embassy or Consulates when you get married.  A marriage which was legally conducted in Australia is recognized in the United States.

As there is no Federal Marriage Act, U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad are unable to offer marriage services. To determine what documents are required for your marriage to be legally registered, you will need to contact a Marriage Celebrant in the United States or in Australia.