International Parental Child Abduction

Australia and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since July 1, 1988.

If your child has been abducted from the Australia, speak with a U.S. State Department officer to discuss your case. We know what resources are available in different countries and can answer questions. Click for specific information for Australia including emergency contact information.


OCI maintains comprehensive information regarding International Parental Child Abduction, including case management, resources to locate an abducted child, tools to prevent abductions, and Country Information. Please refer to their information regarding Child Abduction Issues in Australia.

Preventing Abductions

To prevent international child abduction, the Department of State requires that both parents consent to the issuance of a minor (under age 16) child’s passport.  Parents involved in child custody disputes who wish to be notified if an application for their child’s U.S. passport is submitted may also ask that their child’s name be entered into the State Department’s Children’s Passport Issuance Alert Program (CPIAP).

For parents with immediate concerns that one parent may remove their child from Australia without their consent, please contact the Australian Federal Police regarding having the child placed on their Airport Watch List. Please note that the U.S. Government is unable to intervene in Australian Immigration matters.