The U.S. Consulate General Sydney, Australia now offers the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This new process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview. The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the eCRBA application.
To be eligible to use the eCRBA system
You MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:
- My child was born in AUSTRALIA
- The child under the age of 18
- At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen/National when the child was born
- I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad
- The parents did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to conceive the child
- I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my CRBA application
- I will be attending the Consulate in Sydney to finalize my child’s application
If you answered No any of the above statements, you MUST apply by completing a paper application. Please follow these procedures.
To start the process of applying for an eCRBA online:
- head to MyTravelGov to create your profile
- start the online application
- submit payment
- schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney, Australia. (Note: You must allow 72 hours between payment submission and CRBA interview appointment time. This provides time for your payment to be processed.)
Applying for your child’s passport
If you also want to apply for your child’s U.S. passport, please note that this process cannot yet be completed online. You should refer to our passport information to prepare your child’s application which you can submit at the same appointment as the eCRBA interview.