Paper-based CRBA Applications

If the transmission requirements have been met, the following documentation is required for a CRBA application.

  • The applicant (child) and at least one parent, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, must be present at the U.S. Consulate.
  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-2029: Application for a CRBA (PDF 63KB) — all questions must be answered; to assist, please see information to the right of this page regarding physical presence in the United States.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, they must complete the Form DS-5507: Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 287 KB), have it notarized by a Public Notary (in the U.S.) or Justice of the Peace (in Australia), which must be submitted in their absence.
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable)
  • U.S. citizen parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate)
  • U.S. citizen parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth
  • If any method of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) was used to facilitate the child’s conception, appropriate medical records or medical documentation to establish the biological/genetic relationship between the child and his/her U.S. citizen parent/s will be required
  • One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports.  Please add the signature on delivery feature available from Australia Post to ensure safe delivery.  Be sure to provide an envelope big enough for the return of the Consular Report of Birth Abroad and/or passport – minimum A4 sized (20mm thickness/500gms).
  • Applicable fee