Citizenship Services

Applications for citizenship services are by appointment only – there are no walk-in services available. Please be sure to schedule an appointment before attending the Consulate to submit an application.

What Service Do You Require?

Children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. The following will assist in determining if a child has a claim, and the requirements to register them as a U.S. citizen born abroad:

If an American citizen does not meet the requirements to transmit their citizenship to a foreign-born child and have a CRBA issued, there may be another path to citizenship for the child. The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows certain foreign-born, biological and adopted children of American citizens to acquire American citizenship automatically.

Please note that the acquisition of U.S. citizenship via the Child Citizenship Act is adjudicated and administered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Accordingly, we must direct all inquiries for applications under the Child Citizenship Act to the USCIS. There is no office for the USCIS in Australia; however, their regional office at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand can provide further guidance.

U.S. citizens considering renouncing or relinquishing their U.S. nationality should carefully review and understand the consequences and ramifications of doing so.

Former U.S. citizens who previously lost their U.S. citizenship may request to have their loss of nationality reconsidered.

The U.S. Government recognizes the existence of dual nationality and permits Americans to have other nationalities; however they also recognize the problems which it may cause, and therefore does not encourage it as a matter of policy. Please carefully review the Department of State’s information regarding Dual Nationality.

All U.S. citizens, regardless of the nationality’s they may hold, must maintain their obligations to the United States. Dual nationals traveling to the United States are required to enter and depart the U.S. using their U.S. passport, and are required to file annual tax returns. For further information, please see the information regarding Dual Nationality.