CRBA Applications

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. CRBA Applications

Effective June 10, 2020, the U.S. Mission to Australia began accepting mail-in passport applications (forms DS-82 and DS-5504), in addition to continued emergency citizenship services. Effective June 22, 2020, the Consulates in Sydney and Perth will resume limited routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services by appointment only. We cannot predict processing times. U.S. citizens with immediate travel should contact their nearest consulate to request an emergency appointment.

The U.S. Consulate General Sydney, Australia now offers the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This new process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview.

To be eligible to use the eCRBA system

You MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:

  • I will be attending the Consulate in Sydney to finalize my child’s application (ie: do not use eCRBA if your child’s interview will be scheduled for the Consulates in Melbourne or Perth)
  • My child was born in AUSTRALIA
  • The child under the age of 18
  • At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen/National when the child was born
  • I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad
  • The parents did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to conceive the child
  • I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my CRBA application

If you answered No any of the above statements, you MUST apply by completing a paper application.

How will you submit your CRBA application?

  • Head to MyTravelGov to create your profile
  • State the online application
  • Submit payment
  • Schedule your appointment at the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney. (Note: You must allow 3 business days between payment submission and the CRBA interview appointment for your payment to process)
I will complete a paper application because:

  • I will be attending the Melbourne or Perth Consulate to apply;  or
  • I am ineligible to apply electronically as I could not answer ‘yes’ to all the above questions


Applying for your child’s passport

We also encourage you to apply for your child’s first U.S. passport at the same time as the CRBA.  You do not need to make a second appointment to submit the passport application.  Please refer to the information for a minor child’s U.S. passport, and pay particular attention to the 2 parent consent requirements for children under the age of 16.  Passport applicants over 16 should refer to the adult passport application instructions.