- Eligibility for a CRBA
- CRBA Applications
The Department of State has reduced operations due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Effective April 9, 2020, the U.S. Mission to Australia will only offer emergency citizenship services. Routine and mail-in passport and citizenship applications will not be processed. Please contact your closest consulate to request an emergency citizenship service.
The U.S. Consulate General Sydney, Australia now offers the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This new process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview.
To be eligible to use the eCRBA system
You MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:
- I will be attending the Consulate in Sydney to finalize my child’s application (ie: do not use eCRBA if your child’s interview will be scheduled for the Consulates in Melbourne or Perth)
- My child was born in AUSTRALIA
- The child under the age of 18
- At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen/National when the child was born
- I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad
- The parents did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to conceive the child
- I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my CRBA application
If you answered No any of the above statements, you MUST apply by completing a paper application.
How will you submit your CRBA application?
||I will complete a paper application because:
Applying for your child’s passport
We also encourage you to apply for your child’s first U.S. passport at the same time as the CRBA. You do not need to make a second appointment to submit the passport application. Please refer to the information for a minor child’s U.S. passport, and pay particular attention to the 2 parent consent requirements for children under the age of 16. Passport applicants over 16 should refer to the adult passport application instructions.