Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship. It is issued to children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.