- Effective September 28, 2020: the Consulates in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth are offering routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services by mail and appointment. Appointments are available only for applicants who require an in-person interview. U.S. citizens who require documents sooner than the current processing time should contact their nearest consulate to request an emergency passport appointment.
- Notary services are only available at the Consulate in Perth, and only for residents of Western Australia. Notary services are not available at the Consulates in Sydney and Melbourne, nor at the Embassy in Canberra. Please refer to the information below about the alternate option of using an Australian Notary Public if acceptable to the receiver of your documents.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You will not be allowed to enter the consulate with battery-operated or electronic devices. Persons arriving with these devices will be refused entry. The consulates cannot store electronic devices. Please make arrangements to leave electronic devices at home or store them off-site before arriving for your appointment. For further information, please refer to our Smooth Tips for a Consular Visit.
Please refer to the below links to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services (ACS). Each applicant requiring a service at the Consulate must have a separate appointment. Appointment confirmations are not emailed once the appointment has been scheduled. You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation of the appointment – your name will be on the access list for that day. Please print out or make a note of:
- the appointment confirmation number generated;
- the date and time for your appointment; and,
- the appointment password (required if you need to cancel an appointment – no record of your password is kept at the Consulates).
For New South Wales, Queensland or the ACT
Please use the following links to make appointments at the Sydney Consulate General:
- Sydney Passport and Citizenship Services
- Sydney Notarial Appointments
- Cancel a scheduled Sydney appointment
The U.S. Embassy in Canberra does not provide consular services. Please book an appointment through the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney if you reside in the ACT.
For Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania or the Northern Territory
Please use the following links to make appointments at the Melbourne Consulate General:
- Melbourne Passport and Citizenship Services
- Melbourne Notarial and Social Security Appointments
- Cancel a scheduled Melbourne appointment