- Effective June 10, 2020, the U.S. Mission to Australia began accepting mail-in passport applications (forms DS-82 and DS-5504), in addition to continued emergency citizenship services. Effective June 22, 2020, the Consulates in Sydney and Perth will resume limited routine passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad services by appointment only. We cannot predict processing times. U.S. citizens with immediate travel should contact their nearest consulate to request an emergency appointment.
- Notary services are not available at this time – do not contact us requesting an appointment to have a document notarized. If you require notary services, refer to the information regarding Public Notaries in Australia.
Please refer to the below links to schedule an appointment with American Citizen Services (ACS). Each applicant requiring a service at the Consulate must have a separate appointment.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: You will not be allowed to enter the consulate with battery-operated or electronic devices. Persons arriving with these devices will be refused entry. The consulates cannot store electronic devices. Please make arrangements to leave electronic devices at home or store them off-site before arriving for your appointment. For further information, please refer to our Smooth Tips for a Consular Visit.
Appointment confirmations are not emailed once the appointment has been scheduled. You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation of the appointment – your name will be on the access list for that day. Please print out or make a note of:
- the appointment confirmation number generated;
- the date and time for your appointment; and,
- the appointment password (required if you need to cancel an appointment – no record of your password is kept at the Consulates).
Certain restrictions exist regarding travel between Victoria and New South Wales. U.S. citizens in Victoria may contact the U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne to request an emergency passport if they have imminent international travel or if they urgently need to document a child’s U.S. citizenship. Otherwise, please monitor this website for information about the resumption of routine services at the U.S. Consulate in Melbourne.
For New South Wales, Queensland or the ACT
Please use the following links to make appointments at the Sydney Consulate General:
- Sydney Passport and Citizenship Services
- Sydney Notarial Appointments
- Cancel a scheduled Sydney appointment
The U.S. Embassy in Canberra does not provide consular services. Please book an appointment through the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney if you reside in the ACT.
For Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania or the Northern Territory
Please use the following links to make appointments at the Melbourne Consulate General:
- Melbourne Passport and Citizenship Services
- Melbourne Notarial and Social Security Appointments
- Cancel a scheduled Melbourne appointment