An official website of the United States government

SSNs and U.S. Passport Applications

The Social Security Administration’s Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) for the Asia Pacific region is based at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines. For information on their services, please visit their webpage.


In accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f), applicants for a U.S. passport are required to provide their Social Security number (if they have one) on the application form.

Important notes:
  • Name Issues
    If the name on your social security record does not match the name on your passport application please make sure that you have completed question 9 on the form – ‘List all other names you have used’. (eg: birth name, previous marriages)
  • Lost SSN Card
    If you have lost your Social Security card or cannot remember your number, check all old records such as your tax returns, school records, legal documents etc. for the number.
  • Cannot Locate SSN
    If you cannot locate your SSN and require a replacement card, you must submit an application to the regional office of the Social Security Administration (SSA) in Manila, Philippines.
  • Never had an SSN
    If you have never been assigned an SSN, please complete a statement, under penalty of perjury, to that effect, and submit it along with the passport application. Note: If you complete the statement and a number has been assigned to you, you will hinder the issuing of a new passport.

Replacement SSN Cards

Certifications of Documents through the Consulates

For complete instructions on applications for a replacement Social Security card, you should contact the regional SSA office in Manila, Philippines at FBU.Manila@ssa.gov.

All supporting documents with an application need to be certified by the U.S. Consulate. This is provided as a mail-in service only. Mail the following items to the U.S. Consulate General serving your area:

  1. The original documents
  2. A brief cover letter requesting the certifications for a Social Security application
  3. A self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post (minimum A4 sized) envelope for the return of the original and certified copies of your documents to you

Please allow approx. 5 business days for our office to certify the documents and return them to you.


Planning on traveling to the States?

If you are traveling to the United States, you may wish to submit the application directly with the Social Security Administration at a local SSA office.