7 December 2017
The recent announcement that the United States recognizes Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and plans to relocate the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem may spark protests, some of which have the potential to become violent. The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Australia reminds U.S. citizens of the need for caution and awareness of personal security.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news for updates. Maintain a high-level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security and follow instructions of local authorities. Avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the Department of State’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for your
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Check the website of the S. embassy or consulatewith consular responsibilities for the territory you will be visiting.
- Call 1-888-407-4747toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.