An official website of the United States government

Redeeming Savings Bonds

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Information regarding U.S. Savings Bonds can be found at the Treasury Direct website, which also has includes a Savings Bonds calculator.

Redeeming Bonds from Abroad

To redeem U.S. Department of Treasury Series EE or E Savings Bonds, the bondholder must execute Form PD-1522 (PDF 202 KB): Request for Payment of U.S. Savings and Retirement Securities. The notarized form must then be forwarded, along with the bonds, to the U.S. Treasury for payment.

Options for Executing Form PD-1522

Official photographic identification with signature is required when executing Form PD-1522 (PDF 202 KB). U.S. citizens must present a current U.S. passport as their identity document. Individuals wishing to redeem bonds can follow one of the processes detailed below.

  • Sign the document in the presence of a U.S. Consular Officer by following the notarization procedures at the U.S. Consulate General serving your area.
  • Sign the document in the presence of an officer of a foreign bank or trust company incorporated in the United States, whose signature is attested by an imprint of the corporate seal or is certified to the Department of Treasury.
  • Sign the document in the presence of an Australian Public Notary, and forward the document to the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for an Apostille so the document can be used in the United States.
  • If unable to follow one of the above options, the savings bonds may be signed in the presence of an officer of a local foreign bank who should complete the certification section and impress the bank’s corporate seal. Certified copies by the issuing authority of the photo ID and relevant documents must accompany bonds mailed to the U.S. for redemption.

If the name in your passport differs from that on the bond, you must present evidence of a name change, such as a marriage certificate. Non owners/co-owners must establish entitlement to cash the bonds (eg: an original death certificate if cashing bonds on behalf of a deceased relative). Parents signing on behalf of a minor child must submit the child’s original birth certificate, as well as their own photo identification. 

Tax Information

  • U.S. citizens should prepare a signed statement to be sent to the United States with the bonds. This statement should include your passport number, date and place of birth, country of residence, and the name and address of the authority to which taxes are paid.
  • Citizen of countries with a U.S. tax treaty (such as Australia) should complete and submit IRS Form W-8 BEN (PDF 68 KB): Certificate of Foreign Status to claim exemption from the U.S. tax on the bonds’ interest.