Effective December 27, 2021, the passport security surcharge fee will increase by $20. For minor passport applicants who use Form DS-11, the new fee is $135. For adults renewing their passports using Form DS-82, the new fee is $130. For adults who must apply in person using Form DS-11, the new fee is $165. The AUD fee equivalents of these revised fees can be found on our website here.
Renewal by Mail
You may qualify to renew your passport by mail if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Your previous U.S. passport book/card is in your possession.
- You were at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued.
- Your most recent U.S. passport book/card was issued less than 15 years ago.
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued under your current legal name.
- For more information and instructions on how to renew your passport by mail and how to pay the passport fees, please refer to https://au.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewal/, noting that applicants in Australia who qualify to renew their passport by mail are instructed to mail their applications to the U.S. Consulate in Perth for processing. Most approved passports are returned to the applicant within 28 business days from the date of application.
Schedule an Appointment for an In-Person Appointment
If you do not meet all of the above criteria for renewal by mail, please schedule an appointment to come in person to apply for a passport. Passport appointments are available via our online appointment system here, but please note current limitations on services available at the U.S. Consulates in Sydney and Melbourne.
Please continue to check our online appointment system for available appointments as additional appointments may become available. If you require an emergency appointment, please first schedule the next available appointment and then email the Consulate serving your area to request an earlier one. We will reply with a short questionnaire asking about the nature of your emergency and your intended date of travel. You may be requested to provide supporting documents or information.
Applying for a Passport: For a list of different passport services and the associated requirements, please go to https://au.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/. All passport forms can be found here.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Australia Country Specific Information.
- S. Consulates General in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter