Location: The Australian Capital Territory (ACT), New South Wales (NSW), Queensland (QLD)
Event: Services provided by the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney continue to be significantly disrupted due to COVID-related delays in our move to a new location. As a result, the U.S. Consulate General Sydney can only provide limited emergency services to U.S. citizens at this time. Routine services, including U.S. passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, notary, and renunciation services remain temporarily suspended.
For all U.S. citizen emergencies (including deaths, arrests, hospitalizations, and destitution of a U.S. citizen in the ACT, NSW or QLD), please contact us directly at SydneyACS@state.gov. We advise U.S. citizens seeking an emergency passport or an emergency Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) appointment to email us at SydneyACS@state.gov before booking flights, as we are not able to accommodate every request for services. If you book flights without a confirmed emergency appointment, you risk having to reschedule or cancel your plans. When requesting emergency passport or CRBA services, please provide information (and supporting documentation, as appropriate) about your purpose of travel.
We encourage U.S. citizens in NSW, the ACT and Queensland to schedule their routine passport or CRBA appointments at U.S. Consulates in Melbourne or Perth, domestic border and public health orders permitting.
We recognize that the ongoing suspension of routine services is disruptive for U.S. citizens and applicants. We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding. As soon as we are able to resume routine services, we will update our website.
As a reminder, eligible U.S. citizens may use their expired U.S. passport to travel directly to the United States before December 31, 2021, as long as they meet the criteria outlined here.
Actions to Take:
- Check the Services regularly for the most up-to-date information on the availability of services Australia-wide.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Suite 2, 5 Miller Street
North Sydney NSW 2060
Telephone: (02) 8219-2100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter