An official website of the United States government

Form DS-11 and Form DS-64: Replacing a Lost/Stolen/Damaged Passport

Please report the loss/theft of all U.S. passports to the local police and the Consulate General serving your area as soon as possible. Please make note of the Police Incident/Report number. If your reported lost or stolen passport is found after a replacement passport is issued to you, the original passport cannot be used for travel.

Completing the Application

Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.

  1. Application form
    Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

    • For lost/stolen/misplaced passports: completed and signed Form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport, including the Police Incident/Report number
    • For damaged passports: signed written statement explaining how and when your passport was damaged
  2. Photo
    One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs)
  3. Citizenship
    Evidence of U.S. citizenship
  4. Identity
    Evidence of identity
  5. Changing name
    If applicableoriginal documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
  6. Applicants under age 16
    U.S. regulations require the consent of both parents/legal guardians for the issuance of a U.S. passport to a minor child. To meet these regulations, the following documents/conditions are required.

    • The minor child (applicant) must be present.
    • The child’s birth certificate or court issued custody order must be submitted.
    • The parents’ current photographic identification must be submitted. If only one parent submits the application for a minor child, the absent parent is required to complete a notarized Form DS-3053 to express their consent for the issuance of the passport.
  7. Fee
    Applicable fee
  8. Envelope
    One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new passport. To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options.


Submitting the Application

The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived.

Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.