An official website of the United States government

Legal Assistance

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.


U.S. Embassies and Consulates are not able to offer legal advice to U.S. citizens abroad. The Department of State provides information regarding Retaining a Foreign Attorney.


List of Attorneys


To assist U.S. citizens abroad, the U.S. Embassy maintains lists of attorneys who have made themselves known to our office. Please refer to the links below for lists of attorneys in Australia.

For an additional list of Attorneys, please refer to:

If you cannot afford an attorney, National Legal Aid may be able to assist you. If the services of your attorney prove unsatisfactory, refer to Complaint Line for contact details of the relevant state bodies.