U.S. Embassies and Consulates are not able to offer legal advice to U.S. citizens abroad. The Department of State provides information regarding Retaining a Foreign Attorney.
List of Attorneys
To assist U.S. citizens abroad, the U.S. Embassy maintains lists of attorneys who have made themselves known to our office. Please refer to the links below for lists of attorneys in Australia.
- Attorneys in New South Wales & ACT (PDF 274 KB)
- Attorneys in Queensland (PDF 226 KB)
- Attorneys in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania & Northern Territory (PDF 284 KB)
- Attorneys in Western Australia (PDF 323 KB)
For an additional list of Attorneys, please refer to:
- Law Council of Australia
- Findlaw Australia
- The Lawyer’s List (USA)
- Martindale-Hubbell (USA and international)
If you cannot afford an attorney, National Legal Aid may be able to assist you. If the services of your attorney prove unsatisfactory, refer to Complaint Line for contact details of the relevant state bodies.