Health Alert – U.S. Mission Australia (March 31, 2020)
Event: The Australian Department of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. Please see the Australian Department of Health’s website for statistics that are updated daily.
The U.S. Mission to Australia will be sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens in Australia have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions. See also the Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for more comprehensive information.
The governments of the Northern Territory and Queensland have announced additional travel and quarantine measures:
- From midnight on Wednesday, March 31, 2020, all domestic arrivals to the Northern Territory (apart from those excluded under essential service provisions) will be required to undertake the same quarantine measures currently in place for international arrivals; all non-essential arrivals from interstate or overseas will be quarantined in a hotel for 14 days. Please be aware that from midnight Friday, April 3, 2020, domestic and international arrivals will be required to pay for their accommodation and food (which could amount to AUD $2,500 per room).
- All travelers will require a state approved permit to enter Queensland starting midnight, April 3, 2020. Apply for a border pass at gov.au/border-pass. Please note Queensland requires all non-essential arrivals from interstate or overseas to quarantine for 14 days. There are exemptions for border communities.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Australia.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter