Health Alert – U.S. Mission Australia (March 30, 2020)
Event: The Australian Department of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. Please see the Australian Department of Health’s website for statistics that are updated daily.
The U.S. Mission to Australia will be sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens in Australia have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions. See also the Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for more comprehensive information.
On March 29, 2020, the government of Australia announced new measures to limit the spread of COVID-19, including the following:
- Public gatherings, excluding household members, have been reduced to a maximum of two people. Check State and Territory websites for further enforcement information.
- Everyone should stay home unless you are: shopping for essentials, receiving medical care, exercising or travelling to work or education.
- People aged over 70, aged over 60 with pre-existing conditions, or Indigenous people aged over 50 should stay home wherever possible for their own protection.
- Pubs, licensed clubs and hotels (excluding accommodation), gyms, skateparks, indoor sporting venues, cinemas, beauty salons, play centers and outside playgrounds, places of worship and other public places must be closed. There are restrictions on attendance at weddings, funerals and outdoor fitness classes. Supermarkets and pharmacies remain open.
Visit the Australian government COVID-19 website for updated information.
In order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and comply with guidance to limit non-essential movement, we have reduced staff in the office each day. Our focus is providing emergency services for U.S. citizens. During this time, the approximate processing times upon receipt of a mailed, completed passport application are:
- Passport Books: 6 weeks
- Passport Cards: 12 weeks
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter