Event: The U.S. Mission to Australia plans to send Alerts once per week unless local conditions warrant immediate messaging.
There are various restrictions to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Australia. The Victorian government has announced that if you live in metropolitan Melbourne or Mitchell Shire, you must wear a face covering when you leave your home starting July 23. Restrictions vary by state and territory. Please check the individual state and territory websites for further information on restrictions. State, territory, and local authorities may levy fines on and/or arrest individuals not following physical distancing or other orders.
All states and territories have various entry restrictions concerning travel from the state of Victoria. Restrictions and state and territory border closures related to COVID-19 are changing frequently. U.S. citizens are encouraged to visit the website of each state and territory for the latest on COVID-19 restrictions (the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, and Western Australia).
As a reminder, the Australian government is restricting Australian citizens and permanent residents from traveling overseas, with some exceptions. Dual U.S.-Australian citizens and U.S. citizen permanent residents of Australia are not exempt from this rule and may be prevented from boarding flights if they do not meet the exception guidelines. Individuals may request exceptions to the exit restrictions at this link. The U.S. Mission cannot assist travelers in applying for or obtaining an exemption to the exit ban.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on COVID-19-related fraud.
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/