Event: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Australia are closed April 10-13 in observance of local holidays. The next Alert will be released on Tuesday, April 14, unless local conditions warrant immediate messaging.
The Australian government has stressed that during the Easter period, places of worship must remain closed to the public. Services will be streamed and only clergy and those formally involved in services or streaming are permitted to attend. Everyone should stay home unless you are: shopping for essentials, receiving medical care, exercising or travelling to work or education.
Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, effective March 17, 2020, the U.S Mission to Australia began limiting our consular operations. Effective April 9, we are no longer able to offer routine passport and citizenship services.
In an emergency, our consulates can assist with an emergency passport for an adult or a minor, which can serve as proof of identity and citizenship. For emergency passport services for U.S. citizens in Australia, please contact the consulate closest to your current location (see below for contact information).
If you have previously applied for a passport or citizenship service, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship evidence documents. The consulate at which you applied will be in touch with you about the status of your passport or citizenship document, such as a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). Starting April 9, passport and citizenship applications received by mail will be returned to the applicant.
If you do not require a passport for emergency travel, you must wait until we resume normal operations to apply.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter