Health Alert – U.S. Mission Australia (July 29, 2020)
Event: The U.S. Mission to Australia plans to send Alerts once per week unless local conditions warrant immediate messaging.
Queensland has declared Greater Sydney a COVID-19 hotspot; starting August 1, travelers granted entry who have been in Sydney in the last 14 days must quarantine upon arrival in Queensland, and pay fees for their quarantine accommodations. All states and territories have various entry restrictions concerning travel from the state of Victoria. U.S. citizens are encouraged to visit the website of each state and territory for the latest on border closures and restrictions (the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, and Western Australia).
Measures in Australia to limit the spread of COVID-19 vary by state and territory. Please check the individual state and territory websites for further information. State, territory, and local authorities may levy fines on and/or arrest individuals not following physical distancing or other orders.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on COVID-19-related fraud.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.