Event: The U.S. Mission to Australia plans to send Alerts once per week unless local conditions warrant immediate messaging.
New South Wales (NSW) closed its border with Victoria July 8. Anyone entering NSW from Victoria will be required to go into 14 days of self-isolation. You may apply for a border entry permit to travel from Victoria to NSW here. The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has also closed its border to travelers from Victoria, effective July 8. Any non-ACT residents traveling from Victoria must be granted an exemption to enter the ACT. ACT residents returning from Victoria must notify ACT Health and enter a 14-day quarantine. Heavy penalties and fines will apply for those who do not comply.
International flights to Melbourne are being diverted to other Australian airports through July 14. Through July 17, the number of international passengers arriving to Sydney has been limited to 450 per day, and each flight is limited to 50 people. The number of international arrivals to Perth has been capped at 525 a week, or about 75 a day. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline or travel insurer.
The state of Victoria has increased restrictions on metropolitan Melbourne and Mitchell Shire. Please see this site for a list of areas included and details on the restrictions.
Restrictions and state and territory border closures related to COVID-19 are evolving. U.S. citizens are encouraged to visit the website of each state and territory for the latest on COVID-19 restrictions (the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, and Western Australia).
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on COVID-19-related fraud.
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/