Location: Australia, countrywide
Event: On December 6, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will implement a one-day COVID-19 testing requirement for travelers over age two coming to the United States. Regardless of vaccination status or nationality, any individual coming to the United States must show a negative pre-departure COVID-19 viral test taken the day before they board their flight to the United States. You must show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight.
If you recently recovered from COVID-19, you may instead travel with documentation of recovery from COVID-19 (i.e., your positive COVID-19 viral test result on a sample taken no more than 90 days before the flight’s departure from a foreign country, and a letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).
These requirements are for all air passengers two years of age or older boarding a flight from a foreign country to the United States.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor the CDC website for the latest guidance regarding testing requirements and other updated travel information.
- Check with your air carriers or travel representative prior to departure for the United States for any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Check the Embassy webpage on American Citizen Services regularly for the most up-to-date information on the availability of services Australia-wide.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia and updated information on COVID-19 related to the availability of testing.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit travel.state.gov to view individual Travel Advisories for the most urgent threats to safety and security.
- Click here for our Travel to the U.S. FAQs.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
50 Miller Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060
Telephone: (02) 8219-2100
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- See the State Department’s travel website for Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Information for Australia
- U.S. Consulates General in Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs: 1-888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive travel and security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter