Location: Victoria, Northern Territory, South Australia, and Tasmania
Event: Lockdown in metropolitan Melbourne, Victoria extended and curfew imposed. The Victorian government announced on August 16, 2021, that the lockdown for metropolitan Melbourne would be extended for another 14 days, through September 2, 2021. In addition, effective 11:59 pm on August 16, 2021, a curfew will also be imposed from 9:00 pm to 5:00 am each day.
The restrictions require staying at home except for when engaged in essential activities. When outside the home, residents will be required to wear masks. For more information, please see https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
Event: Lockdown in Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine and seven other areas. The Northern Territory government announced on August 16, 2021, that a 72-hour lockdown for the cities of Darwin, Palmerston, Katherine and seven other areas would begin from 12:01 pm on August 16, 2021, and extend through August 19, 2021.
The restrictions require staying at home except for when engaged in essential activities. When outside the home, residents will be required to wear masks. For a complete list of the affected areas and additional information, please see https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/.
Event: Many parts of Australia are experiencing varying levels of COVID-19 outbreaks, and government countermeasures are constantly changing. Restrictions on travel, leaving the home, mask wearing, as well as social distancing measures, are determined and enforced by the state governments. Such restrictions may be enhanced, extended, eased, or lifted at any time. We strongly recommend consulting the relevant state government page for COVID-related restrictions in your area or any area you plan to travel to.
For Victoria (VIC) visit: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
For the Northern Territory (NT) visit: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/
For South Australia (SA) visit: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/
For Tasmania (TAS) visit: https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/
Please also visit our COVID-19 page for a summary of all the most recent COVID-related information in Australia: https://au.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
The U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne will be closed for routine in-person consular services during this time. U.S. citizens in need of critical emergency services should contact MelbourneACS@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the State Department’s website on the latest international travel restrictions.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on COVID-19-related fraud.
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter