Event: International commercial flight options currently exist in Australia. United Airlines is currently operating daily flights from Sydney to San Francisco; Qantas and Virgin Australia are operating weekly flights from Brisbane to Los Angeles April 8-30. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not currently anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Australia at this time.
As a reminder, there is no quarantine or self-isolation required for domestic travel into the state of New South Wales (NSW). However, travelers entering NSW from other states should check the website of the NSW government. For domestic travel to Queensland, please carefully review the website of the Queensland government as border restrictions remain in place. If a traveler is entering Queensland from another State or Territory by air in order to transfer to another flight they are allowed to enter Queensland, but must remain in the airport until the time of a transfer to another flight, or self-quarantine in a hotel until the other flight or follow the direction of the relevant authorities to self-quarantine at a nominated premises, for example if a return flight is not available the same day.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.