April 2, 2020
Event: The Australian Department of Health has confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. Please see the Australian Department of Health’s website for statistics that are updated daily.
The U.S. Mission to Australia will be sending a daily update to ensure all U.S. citizens in Australia have the latest information about COVID-19 and local conditions. Today’s Alert does not contain new information. See the Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for more comprehensive information.
As mentioned in previous messages, the Department of State issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. United Airlines is currently the only airline continuing regular direct service between Australia and the United States, with a daily Sydney-San Francisco route. Please note that as of today, there is no quarantine or self-isolation required for domestic travel into the state of New South Wales (NSW). However, travelers entering NSW from other states should check the website of the NSW government and be prepared for measures in all Australian states and territories to change at any time.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Australia. U.S. citizens are reminded to check the Australian Department of Health website for information on how to protect yourself and others from COVID-19:
- practice good hygiene,
- practice social distancing,
- follow the limits for public gatherings, and
- understand how to self-isolate if you need to.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.