U.S. Defense Attaché Office
Defense Attaché Office
Yarralumla ACT 2600
Welcome to Tri-Care for retired personnel in Australia. I am posting this letter in order to advise U.S. military retirees of some important medical related information, which will benefit you while residing in Australia. Also, I am including information for obtaining retiree and dependent ID cards.
It is important to know that while in Australia you are covered under Tri-Care Select, not Prime. The largest issue relating to military retiree’s concern is normally the medical claim processing procedure. Be advised that the claim process works on a reimbursable basis only. This means that you must always pay out-of-pocket for medical care and then file a claim for reimbursement for the amount incurred. You may file a claim by filling out a Form DD 2642 and then visiting http://www.tricare-overseas.com where you need to follow the website’s directions for submitting your claim. For your convenience, Form DD 2642 is located at the bottom of main support website.
Additionally, for Tri-Care Select members, there are some deductibles and cost-share fee’s to consider. For retirees and family and members, Tri-Care pays 75% and the beneficiary pays the remaining 25%. For more information on these fees, visit the below Tri-Care Standard web link:
Reimbursement claims are based upon your DEERS status, if you or your family member(s) are not enrolled in DEERS, then you are not eligible for reimbursement. You can verify your DEERS enrollment by calling the DEERS help line at 800.777.8343 or by clicking on the below DEERS web link:
Be advised that you can find a wealth of information relating to education, disability compensation, burial benefits, life insurance, home loan’s and other benefits by logging onto the Veterans Administration website at: http://www.va.gov and http://www.va.gov/vbs/health/
Renewal of military active duty, retiree and dependent ID cards are accomplished by appointment only through the 337th Air Support Flight (ASUF) located at the U.S. Embassy in Canberra. Points of contact is: DOD: 02-6214-5821
When renewing your ID card, you will need the following documents:
- Old ID card
- Photo ID (drivers license, passport, etc)
You will also need the following documents for any changes to your status (marriage, divorce, birth of a child, or death):
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Birth certificate (if applicable)
- DD 214 (if applicable)
- SSN or Tax-payer ID Number (if applicable)
- Divorce Decree (if applicable)
- Death Certificate (if applicable)
Remember when your ID card expires so does your enrollment in DEERS.
If we can be of further assistance, please contact send an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org