Tricare Letter

U.S. Defense Attaché Office

Defense Attaché Office Canberra, Australia
Moonah Place, Yarralumla
ACT 2600

Dear Retiree,

Welcome to Tri-Care for retired personnel in Australia. I am posting this letter in order to advise U.S. military retirees of some important medical related information, which will benefit you while residing in Australia. Also, I am including information for obtaining retiree and dependent ID cards.

It is important to know that while in Australia you are covered under Tri-Care Select, not Prime. The largest issue relating to military retiree’s concern is normally the medical claim processing procedure. Be advised that the claim process works on a reimbursable basis only. This means that you must always pay out-of-pocket for medical care and then file a claim for reimbursement for the amount incurred. You may file a claim by filling out a Form DD 2642 and then visiting where you need to follow the website’s directions for submitting your claim. For your convenience, Form DD 2642 is located at the bottom of main support website.

Additionally, for Tri-Care Select members, there are some deductibles and cost-share fee’s to consider. For retirees and family and members, Tri-Care pays 75% and the beneficiary pays the remaining 25%. For more information on these fees, visit the below Tri-Care Standard web link:

Reimbursement claims are based upon your DEERS status, if you or your family member(s) are not enrolled in DEERS, then you are not eligible for reimbursement. You can verify your DEERS enrollment by calling the DEERS help line at 800.777.8343 or by clicking on the below DEERS web link:

Be advised that you can find a wealth of information relating to education, disability compensation, burial benefits, life insurance, home loans and other benefits by logging onto the Veterans Administration website at: and

If we can be of further assistance, please contact or call us +61 2 6214 5821/5979.