FAQs – Miscellaneous

Every state has its own rules as to who may or may not purchase property. Some states may have laws restricting purchases by non-U.S. persons/entities of some kinds of real estate, for example agricultural or other rural land. As we may not advise on legal, business or commercial matters, we suggest you consult an appropriate professional (such as a lawyer/solicitor) with experience in this area.

Some websites you may find useful:

Most state governments have a Department of Commerce, economic development office, or similar agency that offers business startup information. There are federal, state, and local (such as city and county) requirements concerning the establishment of a business in any particular locality. As we may not advise on legal, business or commercial matters, we suggest you consult an appropriate professional (such as a lawyer/solicitor) with experience in this area.

The Australian Trade Commission, known as Austrade, is the Australian Government agency that helps Australian companies win overseas business for their products and services.

Some websites you may find useful:

We may be able to lend you an American flag for your event; however, we regret we are unable to donate a fabric flag to any organization or individual. Paper flags may be available.

Please contact one of the following depending on your location:

Western Australia: Perth Consulate-General
General Services Officer: (08) 9202-1224

New South Wales and Queensland: Sydney Consulate-General
Public Affairs: (02) 9373-9227

Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania and Northern Territory: Melbourne Consulate-General
Switchboard: (03) 9526-5900

Australian Capital Territory and surrounds: U.S. Embassy
Public Affairs: (02) 6214-5874 (option 4)

If you wish to purchase an American flag you may contact:

Australian Flag Company
218 Gladstone St.
Fyshwick ACT 2609
Telephone: (02) 6280-4166
Fax: (02) 6280-4178
Web: http://www.australianflag.biz/

National Flags
Diplomatic and Consular Supplies
1 Edmunds St.
GPO Box 4829
Darwin NT 0801
Telephone: (08) 8981-6343
Web: http://www.nationalflags.com.au

WA General Distributor
Importers & Wholesalers
PO Box 141
Inglewood WA 6052
Telephone: (08) 9272-7182

The U.S. government has established rules for displaying the American flag.

Some websites you may find useful:

The federal tax agency in the United States is called the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS website includes copies of all forms and publications. We regret Embassy and Consulate staff may not advise on legal matters such a IRS tax returns.

If you have specific questions, you may either contact the IRS directly or engage the services of a commercial tax consultant here in Australia.

The green card lottery is officially known as the diversity visa lottery. This lottery is usually held on an annual basis with an announcement being made during the second half of the year.

Please visit the following website for information:

You must be an American citizen and be at least 18 years of age on or before election day. Your registration form must be received by the electoral office in the state where you last resided at least 30 days before the election.

Complete the on-line version of the federal post card application by following the instructions provided by your state on the Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) website. Return the form to the address specified by your state in the instructions.

The Internal Revenue Service, the federal tax agency of the United States, issues the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

The continental United States is divided into four times zones: Eastern, Central, Mountain, and Pacific. Alaska and Hawaii are each in their own time zone. The continental states observe daylight savings time during the summer months.

Some websites you may find useful: