FAQs – Military

The U.S. National Archives & Records Administration maintains records for discharged military personnel. Records are held either at the National Archives Building in Washington, D.C., or at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

If you are searching for an American’s service records, please be advised that access is limited if you are not the veteran or the next-of-kin.

Other websites you may find useful:

Australians should note that there is no requirement for U.S. authorities to maintain historical and archival records for non-U.S. military personnel. Non-American military personnel do not technically serve in the U.S. military even though they may be attached to a particular unit.

We suggest you first visit your local public library for general information about U.S. military history. If you cannot find what you want, please ask a librarian to assist you. Librarians at your local public library may be able to obtain books and articles for you from other libraries through the inter-library loan system within Australia.

The collections of the Australian War Memorial in Canberra may be searched online.

Other websites that may be useful: