The U.S. Consulate General Sydney, Australia now offers the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This new process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview. The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the eCRBA application.
The eCRBA system is unavailable at the U.S. Consulates General in Melbourne and Perth. By submitting an eCRBA application, applicants are committing to an in-person interview at the Consulate in Sydney.
To be eligible to use the eCRBA system:
You MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:
- My child was born in AUSTRALIA
- The child under the age of 18
- At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen/National when the child was born
- I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad
- The parents did not use Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) to conceive the child
- I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my CRBA application
- I will be attending the Consulate in Sydney to finalize my child’s application
If you answered No any of the above statements, you MUST apply by completing a paper application.
Applying for your child’s passport
If you also want to apply for your child’s U.S. passport, please note that this process cannot yet be completed online. You should refer to our passport information to prepare your child’s application which you can submit at the same appointment as the eCRBA interview.