Media Release – October 2nd, 2018
The United States Department of State has announced the Diversity Visa Lottery for 2020 (DV2020). This program is sometimes referred to as the “Green Card Lottery.” Each year this program makes 50,000 permanent resident visas available through a lottery to persons from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
To qualify, applicants must have either a high school education or its equivalent, or be able to meet minimum training requirements. Each applicant must also be able to show that they were born in a country eligible for this year’s Diversity Visa lottery.
- Entries for the diversity visa lottery must be submitted electronically between 12:00 noon (EDT) on October 3, 2018, through 12:00 noon, (EST) November 6, 2018.
- Applicants may access the electronic diversity visa entry form online at: http://dvlottery.state.gov
- Paper entries will not be accepted. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early and not wait until the last week of the registration period to enter. Heavy demand may result in delays.
- No entries will be accepted after November 6, 2018.
- There is no fee to register for DV2020. Applicants do not need assistance to enter the Diversity Lottery Program. The decision to hire an attorney or consultant is entirely up to the applicant. The selection of winners is random; no outside service can improve an applicant’s chances of being chosen or guarantee an entry will win.
For more information on DV2020 and complete instructions, refer to the Department of State’s website for instructions free of charge.