September 21, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Event: The U.S. Consulate General has received reports of a large protest currently taking place in the Central Business District (CBD) of Melbourne today, September 21, 2021.
The protest is reportedly in opposition to the mandatory vaccination requirements and the two-week construction industry shutdown. Previous protests occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries and police action.
The U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne is currently closed for routine in-person consular services. U.S. citizens in need of critical emergency services should contact MelbourneACS@state.gov or call (03) 9526-5900.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the CBD.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the State Department’s website on the latest international travel restrictions.
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter