Location: Melbourne, Victoria
Event: The U.S. Consulate General has received reports of a planned protest scheduled in the Central Business District (CBD) of Melbourne for Saturday, September 18, 2021. The protest is expected to begin at approximately 12:00 p.m., and progress from Flagstaff Gardens to Spring Street.
The protest is reportedly in opposition to the continuing lockdown. Previous protests included several thousand people and occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries and police action. A robust police presence is expected throughout Melbourne to prevent the intended protestors from gathering as a group. Therefore, it is likely that enforcement of the 5km rule and Victoria’s “Five Reasons for Leaving Home” will occur throughout the city. For more information, please see https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus.
The U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne will be closed for routine in-person consular services during this time. U.S. citizens in need of critical emergency services should contact MelbourneACS@state.gov or call (03) 9526-5900.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the CBD.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the State Department’s website on the latest international travel restrictions.
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter