An official website of the United States government

CRBA Applications

If the transmission requirements have been met, the following documentation is required for a CRBA application.

  • The applicant (child) and at least one parent, preferably the U.S. citizen parent, must be present at the U.S. Consulate.
  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-2029: Application for a CRBA (PDF 63KB) — all questions must be answered; to assist, please see the information regarding physical presence in the United States.
  • If the U.S. citizen parent is not able to attend the appointment, they must complete the Form DS-5507: Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 287 KB), have it notarized by a Public Notary (in the U.S.) or Justice of the Peace (in Australia), which must be submitted in their absence.
  • Child’s birth certificate
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable)
  • U.S. citizen parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate)
  • U.S. citizen parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth
  • If any method of Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) was used to facilitate the child’s conception, appropriate medical records or medical documentation to establish the biological/genetic relationship between the child and at least one parent
  • One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of the CRBA and passport (minimum A4 sized). To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options
  • Applicable fee

Submitting a CRBA Application

Once you have completed all appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, the application will need to be signed in the presence of a U.S. Consular Officer. To submit the application in person at a U.S. Consulate, you will need to schedule an appointment.



Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s first U.S. Passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA.