An official website of the United States government

U.S. Citizen Services
Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship

Applicants over the age of 18, born outside the United States to one or both United States citizen parent(s), may have a derivative claim to U.S. citizenship. Applicants under the age of 18 should refer to the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) information.

If your parent(s) had previously registered you as a United States citizen after your birth, one of the following documents would have been issued to you, and is evidence of your U.S. Citizenship.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545 or DS-1350)
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Before 1981, inclusion of your name on your U.S. citizen parent’s passport

If you believe one of the first three may have been issued to you, but are unable to locate it, you must obtain a certified copy from the Department of State or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (UCSIS) before you can apply for a U.S. Passport.


Completing the Application

Please type or print legibly in black ink. Print out and submit only one-sided pages of the application, and bring all required supporting documents in original format.

In order to determine whether or not the U.S. citizen parent(s) is/are able to transmit citizenship, please refer to the Transmission Requirements (PDF 100 KB). If the transmission requirements have been met, please submit the following documentation in person at the Consulate General serving your area.

  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. passport (PDF 102 KB)
  • Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support (PDF 287 KB), completed by the U.S. citizen parent
  • Applicant’s birth certificate
  • U.S. citizen parent(s)’ evidence of U.S. citizenship (U.S. passport or naturalization certificate)
  • parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • Evidence of termination of parents previous marriage(s) (if applicable)
  • U.S. citizen parent’s documentary evidence of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Such evidence may include (but is not limited to) academic transcripts, employment records, periods of honorable U.S. military service records, or wage and tax statements (W-2)’s
  • Applicant’s evidence of identity
  • One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian sized passport photographs.)
  • One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options
  • Original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (if applicable); certified photocopies are not acceptable
  • Applicable fee


Submitting the Application

Once you have completed all appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, make an appointment to submit the application.