Change in Services Alert – U.S. Consulate General Sydney (September 22, 2020)
Location: New South Wales, Queensland, and Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Event: Effective October 13, the U.S. Consulate General in Sydney will resume limited appointments for loss of nationality services, in addition to the passport, citizenship, and absentee voting services already offered. Passport, citizenship, and loss of nationality appointment availability will be strictly limited due to physical distancing requirements in our office and public waiting room. Each applicant requires their own appointment. All visitors to the Consulate age 2 and older must wear a mask.
The Consulate has a long waiting list of citizens wishing to renounce their U.S. citizenship. Appointments for loss of nationality services will be offered to individuals in the order they were added to the waiting list. We appreciate your patience as we begin to work through this backlog.
Passport and citizenship applications that require a personal interview (applicants under age 16, first-time adult passports, replacement for a lost or stolen passport, and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad) are available on our website.
The Consulate is also accepting mail-in passport applications (using forms DS-82 and DS-5504). If you are eligible for a mail-in service, we ask that you please mail your application to the address below and leave appointments for those who require them.
Processing time for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad is 10-15 business days after the receipt of a completed application. U.S. citizens with immediate travel should request an emergency appointment by email (address below).
U.S. citizen voters or their representatives can drop off completed absentee ballots at the Consulate for postage-free mailing to the United States on workdays between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm. No appointment is necessary. Please check our list of public holiday closures before attending with your ballot.
The Consulate is unable to offer notarial services at this time. Please see our website for other options for notarizing documents.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia, including exit restrictions.
- Do not attend an appointment at the Consulate if you are sick.
- Prepare your application(s) and supporting documents in advance of your appointment. All visitors must wear a mask.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter