Location: Victoria, South Australia, Northern Territory and Tasmania, Australia
Event: Effective February 1, the U.S. Consulate General in Melbourne will resume limited appointments for notarial services and Social Security Administration services, in addition to the passport, citizenship, and loss of nationality services already offered. All visitors to the Consulate age 2 and older must wear a mask. Appointment availability will be strictly limited due to physical distancing requirements in our office and public waiting room. Each applicant requires their own appointment.
The Consulate is also accepting mail-in passport applications (using forms DS-82 and DS-5504). If you are eligible for a mail-in service, we ask that you please mail your application to the address below and leave appointments for those who require them.
Passport and citizenship applications that require a personal interview (applicants under age 16, first-time adult passports, replacement for a lost or stolen passport, and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad) are available on our website. There is no waiver of the personal interview requirement for these services.
Processing time for passports and Consular Reports of Birth Abroad is 10-15 business days after the receipt of a completed application. U.S. citizens with immediate travel should request an emergency appointment by email (address below).
Appointments for loss of nationality services will be offered to individuals in the order they were added to the waiting list.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia, including exit restrictions.
- Do not attend an appointment at the Consulate if you are sick.
- Prepare your application(s) and supporting documents in advance of your appointment. All visitors must wear a mask.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.