An official website of the United States government

Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)


  • Applicants must have a Login.gov account to access eCRBA services on the MyTravelGov portal. Instructions for creating a Login.gov account are available at MyTravel.state.gov. If you already have an eCRBA application in progress, use the same email address previously used to access the MyTravelGov website to create an account. This ensures a streamlined linkage between your existing profile and the new authentication system.

Eligibility Requirements

A Consular Report of Birth (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to children born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) who meet the conditions laid out under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.


The U.S. Consulates General in Australia now offer the ability to apply electronically for your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). This new process allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the mandatory in-person interview.  The easy-to-use online application process provides applicants step-by-step instructions on how to complete the eCRBA application.


To be eligible to use the eCRBA system:

You MUST answer YES to ALL of the following criteria:

  • My child was born in AUSTRALIA
  • The child is under the age of 18
  • At least one parent was a U.S. Citizen/National when the child was born
  • I am a biological parent or legal guardian applying for a child born abroad
  • I can use a credit card or a direct payment from my U.S. bank account (also known as “ACH”), to pay online for my CRBA application


If you answered No any of the above statements, you MUST apply by completing a paper application.

Parents are encouraged to apply for their child’s first U.S. Passport at the same time as applying for their CRBA.

To start the process of applying for an eCRBA online: