Event: The Travel Advisory for Australia has changed to Level 3 – Reconsider Travel due to COVID-19. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for Australia due to COVID-19.
Australia has resumed most transportation options and business operations. However, Australia has enacted a travel ban on all non-residents and non-Australian citizens entering Australia. The country has also restricted Australian citizens and permanent residents from traveling out of Australia; dual U.S.-Australian citizens and U.S. citizen permanent residents of Australia are not exempt from this rule. All travelers entering Australia from overseas will be quarantined in a hotel or designated facility for 14 days, and must reimburse the government for the cost of accommodation. The governments of all states and territories of Australia have implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures and other regulations to reduce the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens in Australia should be prepared for measures in all Australian states and territories to change at any time.
If you decide to travel to Australia:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Australia.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Have a plan to depart from Australia that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on COVID-19-related fraud.
- U.S. Consulate General, Sydney, Australia
Level 10, MLC Center
19-29 Martin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: (02) 9373-9200
- U.S. Consulate General, Melbourne, Australia
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: (03) 9526-5900
- U.S. Consulate General, Perth, Australia
16 St. Georges Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 6144-5100
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Australia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
You have received this message because you have registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). If you would like to unsubscribe or change your details in STEP, please go to https://step.state.gov/step/.