An official website of the United States government

Form DS-11: New Passport Applications

Follow the process detailed below if you are:

  • renewing a U.S. passport issued over 15 years ago;
  • renewing a U.S. passport that was issued while you were under the age of 16; or,
  • a first-time passport applicant over age 16.

Applicants over the age of 16 who have never been documented as a U.S. citizen must first establish their claim to U.S. citizenship.

Completing the Application

Please print out only one-sided pages of the application, and submit all of the following in person at the Consulate serving your area.

  1. Application form
    Completed (but not signed) Form DS-11Application for a U.S. Passport;
  2. Citizenship
    Evidence of U.S. citizenship (ie: previous U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate)
  3. Identity
    Evidence of identity (current driver’s license, foreign passport or military ID)
  4. Photo
    One (1) U.S. sized passport photograph (Note: these are a different size from Australian passport photographs.)
  5. Changing name
    If applicable, original documentation to support name change or change of other descriptive data (certified photocopies are not acceptable)
  6. Fee
    Applicable fee
  7. Envelope
    One self-addressed, Express Post or Registered Post envelope for the return of your new and old passports. To avoid unnecessary delays with your application, see the information regarding accepted return postage options.


Submitting the Application

The application must be signed by the applicant in the presence of a Consular Officer one of the U.S. Consulates General – this requirement cannot be waived.

Services are provided by appointment only, which can be scheduled online.